League Rules (UPDATED 12/09/12)
How Does it Work?
These rules are intended as a general outline of how our leagues work. Note: Many of these rules apply to leagues, which involve multiple bars. If your league is being played at one venue only, please be aware of the special scoring features and information on joining the league.
Duration of each league/attendance requirement as stated in the League description.
League points awarded on a WEEKLY basis as follows:
25 league points to the weekly winner * 20 league points for second place * 17 league points for third place * 16 league points for fourth place * 15 league points for fifth place * 14 league points for sixth place * 13 league points for seventh place * 10 league points for just showing up, but not placing in the top seven teams.
LOYALTY BONUS! 20 additional league points for playing the FINAL WEEK of the league (these points will be added to your score for the final week and cannot be 'doubled down.') PLEASE NOTE: If a non-league team wins the quiz, and your league team is in second place, you get second place points, not first place points, and so on.
SCORES POSTED EACH WEEK AT WWW.BRAINSTORMER.COM
Log on to your venue's web page to see the weekly topics and bonus question. Visit the Pub Quiz Regulars Section to join a quiz team OR find people who are looking for a team to join.
- Contestants may play on ONE team only and each team may play at ONE venue only for the duration of the tournament. Contestants who play on one team that does not qualify for the playoffs may not join another team at the playoffs.
- Teams may register to play at one venue only and participate each week at that venue only. Teams must register at the Brainstormer web site. If you are having a problem registering your team please contact Brainstormer ASAP via the 'Contact' link at WWW.BRAINSTORMER.COM
- New teams can join the league anytime during the first THREE weeks of play. Once you have registered to play at a venue, you must continue to play at that venue. League scores are not transferrable between venues. The more you play, the more you score! Note: Teams not taking part in the league are still eligible to win the great weekly prizes at each venue.
- QUALIFYING FOR PRIZES: The first-place team at each venue will be invited to the league final, with a minimum of one team from each venue qualifying.* Other teams may be invited to the final depending on the number of teams participating at each venue. If 2-4 teams participate at a venue and meet the minimum attendance requirement, the venue will send ONE team to the final; if 5-7 teams participate, the venue will send TWO teams to the final; if 8-10 teams participate, the venue will send THREE teams to the final; and if 11 or more teams participate, the venue will send FOUR teams to the final. *Rarely, a venue(s) may have only one participating team that meets the eligibility requirements for Grand Final qualification. However, this does not give that team a 'free pass' to the Final. In this case, any venues with one team will have their performances weighed against each other. At League end, the team from this subset with the most league points will qualify for the Grand Final. Attendance requirement: Please check the league description to see the attendance requirement teams must meet in order to be eligible for the Grand Final and/or any pre-qualification prizes that may be on offer. 'Wild-Card' team(s) may be invited to the final in addition to, or in place of, teams that have qualified, and who can't make it to the final. 'Wild-Card' teams are determined by total score, and number of teams that participated per venue. The best performing small team (5 players or less) will also be considered for a 'wild-card' slot. Please let your quizmaster know if you are consistently a small team during the qualifying rounds. Teams may also be invited to the Grand Final at the discretion of the Brainstormer quizmaster at each venue. In the event of any disputes, Brainstormer's decision shall be final.
SPECIAL SCORING FEATURES.
- During the league, each team can 'Double-Down' on its score during any ONE pub quiz event. For example, let's assume your team wins a weekly quiz. The normal total weekly score would be 25 points. However, if your team has exercised the 'Double-Down' option, the score will be doubled to 50 points! Important: You must let your Quizmaster know BEFORE the start of the weekly quiz that you want to 'Double-Down.' Each team can 'Double-Down' only ONCE per league. If you don't exercise your 'Double-Down,' the Quizmaster will apply the 'Double-Down' to your team's final week of league play.
- 'Lowest Score Scratch' - Had a bad week? Your best team player got married and can't make it back from the honeymoon in time for the quiz? Your whole team scored tickets for the Justin Bieber concert, which just happens to fall on quiz night? Don't worry. When the league is over, the Brainstormer Quizmaster will scratch EACH team's lowest score for the league, including teams that tend to perform strongly and who don't necessarily want to take a break from weekly play. This basically gives each team a week off.
- Usual rules apply regarding cheaters/cell-phone users, use of reference materials during quiz play, etc… (Automatic Disqualification) During a quiz, if you (or one of your teammates) are seen using, or reasonably suspected of using, a cell phone, Blackberry, iPhone, PDA, or any reference materials, etc... to obtain answers to quiz questions, the Quizmaster reserves the right to make your team ineligible to win prizes, no questions asked. Sorry, technology is not a friend of the Pub Quiz!
- LEAGUE FINALS (optional): Each team in the Grand Final shall be limited to no more than FIVE players per team, unless stated otherwise by the Brainstormer representative. Teams in the Final may only be comprised of players who played REGULARLY for that team during the tournament. In other words, you may not bring in 'ringers' to represent your team at the Final. Also, you may not 'substitute' players on your team at the final between rounds, so make sure you field your strongest team!
- Venue for final playoff(s) will be announced to qualifying teams and it is beholden on qualifying teams to make it to the venue on the date announced. Brainstormer accepts no responsibility for a team's failure to show up at the Final. Teams must be present to win prizes. Prizes will be in the form of gift cards that can be used like cash, a check, or venue gift certificate(s).
- In the unlikely event that a venue stops hosting Brainstormer while a league is in progress, teams playing at that venue can transfer to another participating league venue of their choice. League scores will also transfer to the alternate venue.
- In the event of any disputes, Brainstormer's decision IS FINAL. By taking part in the league, you agree to these rules.
- You must be prepared to have fun! :)